Virginia Commonwealth University

Make it real.

House Welcomes New Majority Leader

January 12, 2011

Delegate Kirk Cox, R-Colonial Heights, dug through the pile of papers on his desk until he found the packet he was looking for. He wanted to review his research one more time before leaving for his party’s caucus meeting.

“I’m afraid I’m going to make the wrong motion,” Cox said. “If I move to adjourn the session, then the governor can’t come and make his [State of the Commonwealth] speech. I have to move to recess.”

In December, Cox was elected House majority leader by his fellow Republicans after their previous leader, Delegate Morgan Griffith of Salem, was elected to Congress. Cox had previously served as the majority whip for the Republicans.

“This will be a really interesting challenge – trying to represent your area, which is very important, and trying to be majority leader, and doing the budget,” Cox said Wednesday before the General Assembly convened at noon. “It’ll be a busy session.”

CNS reporter Tracy Kennedy wrote a profile of Cox on his first day as House majority leader. You can read Tracy’s story in The Petersburg Progress-Index.

kirk_cox_first_day.JPG